If you’re sick of the standard pepperoni pie, this will cure your pizza blues!
White Lemon Sauce:
Yields 1.5 cups
- 1.5 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs, and 1 tsp flour
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Melt butter in medium pan over medium-low heat, and add olive oil.
2. On low heat and stirring constantly with a wire whisk, add in flour and cook until it turns a light brown.
*Pay attention in this step! You don’t want to burn the butter/flour mixture (aka roux), but you want to almost “roast” the roux to get rid of the flour taste.The roux will be a bit thinner than what you might be used to, but the sauce will thicken up believe me! Trust me, friend.
3. Still on low heat, add milk and half &half (remove from the heat if you need to so that the milk doesn’t boil).
4. Add garlic, salt and pepper and cook sauce over low heat until sauce starts to thicken about 3-4 mins.
5. Add cheese and stir another minute or so. Sauce should continue to thicken.
6. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
For the Pizza:
- 1 large pizza dough ( at room temp)
- 2 cups steamed broccoli (don’t overcook, make sure it is still bright green!).
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 strips cooked bacon (as described below)
*Preheat Oven to 500 for about 45 mins, with pizza stone inside.
1. Spread out pizza dough, and cover with white sauce.
2. Cut broccoli into 1/2 inch pieces and layer on top of white sauce.
3. Add cooked bacon on top of broccoli.
*I like to cut my bacon up before I cook it (literally with scissors), if it is a recipe where I would be crumbling it anyway. It seems to cook faster and more evenly, not splatter as much. Drain the bacon on a paper towel.
7. Let rest for 5 mins so that the sauce can set a bit.
8. Cut and enjoy!