So like many of you, Miles and I were feeling a little mmm.. how you say… heavy? after the holidays and we decided to do a little “cleanse” of our own. In my opinion that if you exercise daily, and eat right proportions that there’s no need to do diets or “cleanses”. If you’re happy and able to move around the way you want, then I think its all good (isn’t that what life is about? who has time to watch every little thing that goes in their mouth?).
We just wanted to see what would happen! Our goal is to do a week of eating just fruits and veggies (plus a little greek yogurt… come on guys! I NEED it!). We have been having a green smoothie for breakfast, a salad for lunch (just veggies and a little vinaigrette), and then a green smoothie for dinner. We’re on day two, and the only thing I can say for now is that I am a lot more full than I expected I would be. I’ll give my conclusion on our “cleanse” at the end of the week when we’re done.
I made this salad for lunch today, and besides getting all stuck in my braces, it was amazing! The avocado was a perfect creamy contrast to the sprouts and broccoli, and the lemon softened the veggies a bit, and gave the salad a nice bright acidity.
Note: I made this in my food processor, using the bottom blade for the vinaigrette, and the slicing attachment (not the grater) for the brussel sprouts and broccoli. I don’t suggest trying to do it any other way or you will be cursing my name, and you’ll be so tired and sweaty from shaving stupid vegetables that you won’t want to eat it when you’re done. If you don’t have a food processor, then go buy one! And then make this salad! Enjoy!
Shaved Brussel Sprout and Broccoli Salad with Avocado and Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
*This only makes one salad, but it would be easy to make more.
- 1.5 cups shaved raw brussel sprouts
- 1.5 cups shaved raw broccoli
- 1 Tbs sliced red onion (as thin as you can)
- 1/2 ripe avocado, diced
- 3 Tbsp lemon dijon vinaigrette (recipe to follow)
Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette:
*Yields about 1.5 cups dressing
- 1 fresh lemon juiced
- 1 heaping Tbs dijon mustard (smooth, not grainy)
- 1 cup vinegar (I used regular white, but red wine vinegar would be excellent too)
- 1 peeled shallot
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- 1 Tbs honey
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- To make vinaigrette, combine ingredients (lemon through sea salt ) in food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine brussel sprouts, broccoli, onion, and avocado in a medium bowl and toss with 3 Tbs of vinaigrette. Season with S&P if needed.
- Feel free to enjoy salad right away (I did), but I would imagine that it would be even better after letting the acidity of the lemon and vinegar soften the veggies for 30 mins-1 hr.
- Brush your teeth.