Perfect lunch, and perfect alternative to a cold salad.
Warm, meaty mushroom flavors, and gooey poached egg with a hint of parmesan.
Portabella and Asparagus Bowl with Poached Egg
(Makes 1 bowl)
- 10 stalks asparagus, trimmed and washed. Cut into 2 inch pieces
- 5 brussel sprouts, washed and shredded.
- 7 big portabella mushrooms, or 10 medium, or 14 small (you get the picture)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbs white vinegar (2 Tbs if you’re making more than one egg)
- Parmesan Cheese (the good kind, not the powdery gross kind)
- In a small pot, bring about 3-4 inches of water to a boil, with the 1 Tbs vinegar. (For more than one egg, use an 8 or 10 inch skillet filled with water and add 2 Tbs vinegar).
- Meanwhile, add EVOO, asparagus, brussel sprouts, and mushrooms to a heated skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook for 5 mins stirring often.
- Add 1 or 2 Tbs water or stock, and the garlic. Keep heat medium-high and stir often.
- When water boils, add egg(s) and remove from heat. Cover, and cook for 4 mins. (If I’m doing more than 1 egg, I like to break them into ramekins or little bowls and then lower them into the water so that they all go in around the same time, and they also have a nicer shape.)
- Continue to cook veggies, and when egg is done, season veggies with S&P and a few shavings of parmesan.
- Remove egg from water with slotted spoon and lay on top of veggies. Eat immediately.