It has been a while since I’ve posted, but we got a nice little rain storm this weekend which left me a little time to do some baking. The water turned a nice shade of brown (thanks to all the lovely runoff), and I usually like to stay out of the water for a few days when that happens (unlike Miles who was surfing in the rain yesterday).
This recipe is made using Trader Joes Multigrain Baking and Pancake Mix, so it is really very simple to make. There was only a bit of vegetable oil involved in the actual cake, and it was loaded with soft, ripe pears which made it super moist. From start to finish this only took me about an hour to make, so you could definitely jump out of bed on a Saturday morning and whip it up then go back to bed while it bakes. I can imagine that apples would be very good in this recipe as well, or maybe try blueberries or fresh peaches.
Pear Almond Coffee Cake
Yields 1, 8 by 8 cake
*Preheat oven to 350
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 TBsp oil
- 2 1/2 cups Trader Joes Multigrain Baking and Pancake Mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tsp cinnamon
- 2 ripe pears, skinned and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup unsalted almonds
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, combine ingredients from egg through pears and mix until combined.
- Pour into buttered 8 by 8 pan, and cook for 40 mins at 350.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor pulse almonds until pea sized or a little smaller.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until combined. Butter may not combine totally but that’s ok.
- After 30 mins, remove cake and spread crumble over top evenly and put back in the over for 8-10 mins.
- Remove and check to make sure it’s done by inserting a wooden toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean then it’s done, otherwise bake for a few more minutes.
- Let rest for 10 mins before serving.