Mmm Kale… natures candy.
But… kale is a really delicious green-leafed veggie. I hear it’s good for you too.
My friend, Allie popped over last night with her pup, Earl. Earl is going through some tough life changes (he just got nuetered), and it was the first time he and Hunter have been able to play for a week. So I made Allie eat my kale salad, and we watched Hunter and Earl rekindle their friendship in the dust bowl that is my backyard (California sun is cruel to grass).
Allie told me the salad was delicious, but she is also a sweetheart so she might have been lying to me.
You try it and let me know what you think!
Kale Salad with Farro, Figs and Gorgonzola
- juice 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp fig butter (or jam would work too)
- 5 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked farro (cooked will make about 2 cups) *I make my farro in the rice cooker following the ratio you would use for rice.
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 6 chopped, dried figs
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola
- Combine lemon through olive oil in a big bowl and whisk until combined. Season with more salt and pepper to your liking.
- Add red onion and farro and stir to coat.
- Add kale to bowl and stir to coat leaves completely.
- Let sit for about 15 mins and stir again.
- Add gorgonzola and combine again.
- You can eat immediately or let sit in the fridge for a while longer to let the kale calm down a little.