Sometimes you just need a little energy boost before a surf session (or workout). That’s where these babies come in.
I like to grab one or two of these and snack on them while I’m walking down to the surf.
These little guys have a good bit of protein (peanut butter and sunflower seeds) and are chewy and delicious (from the raisins and chocolate chips).
There’s no added sugar (use natural peanut butter so there’s no sugar there), and there’s a bit of cinnamon flavor in the lightly toasted oats. Not to mention the flax seed has Omega-3 and fiber.
They couldn’t be easier, since there’s no baking required, and sooooo much cheaper than buying granola bars.
Heck yeah! Let’s shred!
Pre-Surf Energy Nuggets
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups raisins
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips*
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds*
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (in liquid form)
*Can substitute with other nuts or seeds or dried fruit
- In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, lightly toast the oats, cinnamon and salt for 5 mins. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse raisins until fairly smooth (see picture below).
- Using a stand mixer, combine raisins, oats, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, peanut butter, flax seeds and coconut oil. Stir until combined. (See picture below.)
- Using moist hands (re- moisten if balls are sticking), form mixture into balls. You can chose the size, but I made mine on the larger size so that I only need to grab one or two.
- Place on a non-stick surface and refrigerate for 30 mins to an hour. Remove and put in an airtight container and store in the fridge.