I spent today at jury duty.
If that wasn’t already bad enough… they played Marley & Me in the waiting room.
(I won’t try to deny that I cried about 3/4 of the movie.)
Who is responsible for that movie? It is literally the saddest thing I have ever seen.
I had to leave at lunch break and drive home to see Hunter.
This salad is the easiest thing in the world to make, and perfect for when you don’t really feel like cooking (and are emotionally drained from crying over Owen Wilson and a beautiful yellow lab all day).
I got the idea for this salad from my friends Ashley and John who brought a similar salad to pizza night last Friday, so you can really thank them for this recipe!
Italian Chickpea Salad
- 1/4 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- 3 Tbsp vinegar (your choice, I used rice vinegar because it is subtle)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 10 peperoncinis, sliced and stems discarded
- 1 english cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper julienned
- 20 or so slices of pepperoni, sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup finely diced Parmesan cheese (or other cheese you might have)
- In a large bowl, combine EVOO, vinegar and S&p. Combine and then add chopped onions.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to build the rest of the salad on top of the onions so they have some time to mellow out in the dressing at the bottom.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or let sit covered in the fridge for a bit. This will be good the next day too!