Sometimes I get feedback on my recipes that say, “there was a little too much garlic.”
And my response to those comments is always the same…
I absolutely love garlic.
Miles loves it too, so we make a perfect pair.
This soup is a hearty, creamy bowl of straight garlic.
Just kidding. There are a few other things in there too, like carrots and celery… all that boring stuff.
The white beans simmer down into a lovely, thick broth (no added milk or cream), and the orzo is a lovely little pasta bite that helps add to the consistency.
Creamy Garlic & White Bean Soup with Orzo
*yields about 4 big bowls
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shopped
- 1 rib of celery, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 4-5 medium garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 can Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups stock (chicken or veg)
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo
- 1/4 cup shopped fresh parsley
- In a medium stockpot over medium high heat, add enough to EVOO to just barely cover the bottom of the pot.
- Add mirepoix (fancy name for celery, carrots and onion) garlic, oregano, chili flakes, S&P and stir.
- Cook over medium heat until onions become translucent, stirring frequently so that the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add beans and stir frequesntly for about 2-3 mins.
- Add stock and simmer for 25 mins over low heat, stirring every so often.
- Add orzo and continue to cook for 10-12 mins or until orzo is done.
- Season with S&P if you think it needs it.
- Garnish (or stir right in) with parsley and enjoy!