Don’t be fatt-oo-lish. Crispy chickpeas belong on this salad!
That was a great play on words wasn’t it? (Fattoush + Foolish?)
Good one Mary!
Crispy chickpeas turn this salad into a meal, and to be honest, I can’t believe they weren’t already a part of this traditional Arabic salad.
The dressing for this could not be more simple, with just fresh lemon, garlic and a handful of parsley. Use whatever veggies you have on hand, and skip the sumac if you don’t have it. This will easily become your next go-to Meatless Monday dinner.
Vam-oush! (Vamos + Fattoush… no? ok.)
Fattoush Salad with Crispy Chickpeas
Makes one large salad to share amongst two or three
- juice of one lemon
- 1-2 Tbsp EVOO
- 1/2 tsp or so kosher salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated on a zester
- 2 tsp ground sumac
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 /2 cup chopped fresh parsley (about one handful or so)
- 1/2 English cucumber, washed and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and cooked as described here. You can keep it simple and just use salt and pepper to season the chickpeas.
- 2 small pitas, or flatbread, toasted and cut or torn into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Cook chickpeas as described in link above.
- Meanwhile, combine lemon juice, EVOO, kosher salt, garlic and sumac in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add onions and parsley, and then layer with remaining ingredients, finishing with lettuce and bread on top. (Onions will pickle a little bit while you chop the other ingredients and layer them on.)
- Toss together right before salad is served to keep ingredients from wilting and getting soggy. (Season with more salt if needed). Enjoy!