Summer is in full swing in Southern California… springsuits, stingrays and tourists baby!
I’ve been surfing my buns off in this amazing warm water, and this is the salad that I have been eating almost every day for lunch when I get home.
It is super crisp, fresh, loaded with fresh herbs like scallions and cilantro, and has edamame which is packed with protein. Topped with toasted sesame seeds, and a not-too-thick sesame ginger dressing this is a salad that I don’t really get sick of.
You could top it with avocado (of course you can) or grilled chicken if you were feeling fancy.
I’m off to surf!
Chopped Crunchy Asian Salad
- about 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 cups edamame, cooked and cooled
- 2-3 cups shredded carrot
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 small english cucumber chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 5 or so scallions, chopped
- toasted sesame seeds to top
- If you feel like it: chopped red bell pepper, sliced almonds, avocado
Add together salad components and toss. Add dressing to taste and only right before you’re about to serve it. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Sesame Ginger Dressing
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp natural peanut butter
- 2, 1 inch pieces ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp brown sugar
Pulse together in a food processor until smooth, or grate ginger and garlic and whisk together ingredients.