Perfect for Christmas dinner for so many reasons…
1. Ranch seasonings, crispy cheese melted on top, with fresh scallions…They appeal to everyone (even kids).
2. They’re easy to make ahead (just reheat in the oven and finish in the broiler).
3. Perfectly rich so that they’re special enough for a Christmas dinner.
And they’re not hard to make. You can do it. Merry Christmas!
Ranch Twice Baked Potatoes with Cheddar
makes 4 large potatoes
- 4 Russet potatoes (Yukon gold will work too) scrubbed and dried, and rubbed with vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (reserve half cup to top potatoes)
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp softened butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped scallions (reserve 1 Tbsp to top cooked potatoes)
- fresh ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400. Bake potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet for 1 hour, and set aside to cool for 10 mins. Leave oven on.
2. Set potatoes on their side so that the cooked bottoms are on the side. Slice top and remove baked potato, leaving about 1/2 inch inside skin.
3. Return empty skins to oven for 10 mins or until they get dry and crispy.
4. Meanwhile, mash the potato flesh with a fork. Add remaining ingredients and fully combine.
5. Remove skins and spoon mixture into crisped shells. (If filling has cooled then return the potatoes to the oven for about 10-15 mins.)
6. Top potatoes with remaining cheese and broil until the cheese is melty and bubbling.
7. Remove potatoes and top with remaining scallions. Serve immediately.
If you want to make these ahead of time, do through step 5, but do not return to the oven. Cool potatoes and wrap your baking sheet with plastic wrap. When you’re ready to eat them return to a hot oven for 20-30 mins or until heated through. Resume with step 6.