This soup will help with keeping your new years resolutions, but is still rich enough to fill your cozy, winter tastebud needs.
I hope you all had a bright Christmas and New Years!
Did you make any resolutions? I did.
This soup helps with that last resolution. I haven’t eaten red meat in quite some time now, but I still have chicken every now and then. I don’t think we really need meat (there are plenty of other ways to get protein), and gosh, it is good for our planet in so many ways to cut that meat out completely.
Vegetable and Chickpea Curry Soup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 large white onion, finely diced
- 3-4 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp corriander
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper depending on how spicy you like your food
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock
- 3 small zucchinis(small enough that they barely have developed seeds), cut in half lengthwise and into 1/2 inch thick slices (you could also use snap peas)
- 1 can coconut milk
- chopped cilantro to garnish
1. Heat a large heavy stockpot over medium-high heat and add coconut oil.
2. Add onion, carrot and potato to hot oil and stir frequently until onion is translucent. Add chickpeas and garlic and cook, stirring frequently until garlic is fragrant.
3. Add spices and stir constantly until fragrant over medium heat about 1-2 mins.
4. Add stock (4 cups for a thicker soup, and 5 for a looser soup, which I prefer) and stir to release any bits from bottom of pan. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until potatoes are tender (not mushy) and easily pierced with a fork about 10 minutes.
6. Add zucchini and cook about 3-4 minutes.
7. Add coconut milk and stir to combine. Simmer 3-4 minutes more. Potatoes and carrots should be soft to the bite but not falling apart.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy.