Because I love chickpeas in everything….
This salad couldn’t be easier, and it is really simple. And that’s what I love about it. I also love that there are cucumbers and onions in it, so you Italians, don’t get all “that’s not a caprese salad” on me… I’m a rule breaker. Kickin’ ass and taking names.
In other news, I got a Grateful Dead album today in the mail as an early birthday present (listening on repeat), as well as a Bernie 2016 sticker for my car (Miles will hate it). The neighbor’s dog is here playing with Hunter (biting each other’s throats mainly), and we’re planning a surf trip to the Philippines in a few months.
So that’s fun! Enjoy!
Chopped Caprese Chickpea Salad
makes a large bowl, enough tot serve 4-6 for lunch
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp vinegar (red wine is nice)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 small red onion, chopped super thing
- 1 large english cucumber, skinned and chopped
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 medium tomatoes, chopped into 1-2 inch pieces
- 12 large basil leaves, chiffonaded
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1. In a large bowl, add ingredients from list above olive oil through garlic and whisk together.
2. Add onions on top of dressing and stir to coat. Let sit 20-30 minutes.
3. Top with remaining ingredients and stir together to combine. Enjoy immediately.