Let’s be honest with one another.
Spring rolls are beautiful and delicious but they are just a pain to make.
No one wants to do that ever. Unless you have a bunch of people helping you and drinking wine, it’s just not fun.
This salad has all the goodies of a Vietnamese spring roll like crunchy veggies, fresh herbs (cilantro and mint), and a creamy peanut dressing. I have made it probably about once a week this summer and enjoyed the leftovers all week.
Do you need more convincing? Ok…
1. No oven usage
2. Vegan (but doesn’t taste like it)
3. Perfect side to bring to a BBQ as a slaw or side salad
4. Cheap ingredients!
- For Dressing
- *makes about 2 cups
- 2 inches peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 cup natural, salted, smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup water (plus more if needed)
- juice of one lime
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Process in a food processor until smooth, or whisk together with finely grated ginger and garlic until smooth.
- 4 cups finely chopped green cabbage
- 3 cups finely chopped red cabbage
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 red pepper, chopped to matchsticks
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- Toss together salad ingredients and serve with dressing immediately before eating, or dress whole bowl (using dressing according to taste) to serve as a slaw.