The weather is getting chilly here! And no, I’m not talking that “low 60’s California cold.”
Miles and I went camping up North last weekend and it was freezing! We wore long underwear and down jackets and snuggled up in our tent with the wind blowing all night. It was awesome!
This soup is a perfect winter soup to warm you up. It is full of hearty vegetables, roasted garlic and buttery beans. Topped with some fresh parsley to brighten it up, this is a great post-Christmas-week-feasting dinner.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion (about 1.5 cups chopped fine)
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 4-5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms, quartered with stems removed
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped small (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 can (15.5 oz) white canellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale (ribs removed)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat, and add onions, celery and carrots.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent.
- Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently until garlic is fragrant and mushrooms become tender.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme and oregano. Bring mixture to a boil stirring frequently.
- Add stock and bring to a boil again.
- Add potatoes and reduce heat to simmer over low heat. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 20 mins.
- Stir in beans and kale. Season with salt and pepper and serve when kale is wilted, topped with fresh parsley.