It might seem like turmeric is everywhere these days. But this is actually a pretty old health fad.
As in a 4,500 year old fad.
You may be familiar with turmeric from curry, which is what gives it it’s yellow color. Besides all the heath benefits turmeric is tasty when used in other things besides curry (ie rice, salad dressing, and soup). Turmeric has a fairly mild taste but super vibrant color which adds the illusion on richness without adding fat.
This chicken is a super easy way to get a good dose of turmeric, and because it is paired with lots of black pepper your body will also absorb it at a better rate. It is best made in a cast iron pan to get the best sear, and then to be able to continue the cooking in the oven.
I highly suggest investing in a cast iron pan (it is really no investment at all and you will have it forever as long as you treat it right). This is the one I own, which is about $14 on amazon. I use it all the time.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp powdered turmeric
- 1-2 tsp kosher salt (just enough to generously season both sides of chicken breast)
- 1-2 tsp fresh ground black pepper (just enough to generously season both sides of chicken breast)
- 2 large chicken breasts, rinsed and dry
- Combine olive oil, turmeric, salt and pepper in rimmed dish.
- Add chicken and turn to coat.
- Let marinade in the refrigerator for 45 mins- 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350
- Place large skillet over high heat for 3-5 mins or until chicken sizzles when you add it to the pan.
- Add chicken and let cook on one side for 5 mins or so until it releases easily and has a nice sear. Reduce heat if pan starts to smoke or chicken burns.
- Turn chicken and cook another 2-3 mins.
- Put pan with chicken in preheated oven and cook for 20 mins or so, or until thermometer reads 165.
- Remove chicken and let it rest for 5 mins.
- Slice chicken and enjoy in salads or sandwiches or whatever you desire!