A little trick I learned in culinary school for how to keep cucumbers crunchy…
I love a good cucumber salad but sometimes they end up super watery and the cucumbers become so soft!
I’m here to help. Here’s what you do:
1. Leave a little skin on the cucumbers (I peel every other strip of skin, rotating around), cut them in half lengthwise and chop them into 1/4 inch slices.
2. Place them in a colander in the sink and toss with 2 tsp kosher salt.
3. Fill a gallon ziploc bag with water and place on top of the cucumbers to press out the water.
4. Let sit for 1-3 hours so the moisture can be drawn out by the salt. Toss a little bit to get off remaining salt and water, then use them to make your salad. Easy!
- 2 large english cucumbers, ends trimmed
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 small red onion
- 4 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp dill seeds
- pinch red pepper flaked
- Peel cucumbers leaving alternating strips of skin, cut in half and then into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Place large colander in sink and fill with cucumbers.
- Toss cucumbers with kosher salt.
- Fill a large ziploc bag with water and place on top of cucumbers in colander. Let rest for 1-3 hours to release moisture from cucumbers.
- In a medium-large bowl whisk together honey and cider vinegar. Add in dill seeds and red pepper flakes. Let rest while cucumbers are doing their thing.
- After 1-3 hours of cucumbers releasing their moisture toss, toss them gently in the colander and then add to dressing. Add onions and stir to combine.
- Let sit in fridge for 30 mins to an hour before serving cold.