I don’t want to make you feel bad, but please please please stop buying salad dressing.
We got back from a trip to Mexico yesterday with Miles’ cousin and his girlfriend (and Hunter!) where we ate our weight in chips and guacamole, and el pastor tacos. It was awesome!
I was definitely craving a healthy salad for my lunch today. I have a lot of beautiful oregano in my garden right now which made this dressing super fresh and flavorful. If you don’t have fresh oregano you can use dried (about 1/2 tsp), but let it rehydrate a bit in the dressing before you use it.
There’s really no excuse for buying salad dressing. It is expensive and usually packed with sugar. Here is a recipe that will just make you a single serving of dressing that is better than anything you can buy in a bottle.
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 Tbsp vinegar of choice (red wine vinegar is nice)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, finely shopped
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/8 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1-2 cups chopped english cucumbers
- 2 Tbsp crumbled feta, or about 2-3 inches of feta from a block, crumbled
- 4-6 pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- In a medium bowl whisk together oil, honey, vinegar, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Add in sliced onions and toss with dressing while you chop the other ingredients.
- Add cucumbers, tomatoes, olives and feta on top of the onions.
- Toss together and enjoy immediately.
- Top with grilled chicken for a more filling meal!