Hey quinoa-heads (myself included)! There’s a new (actually ancient) kid in town.
He goes by the name of bulgar.
Here’s what you should know:
- Bulgar is a cracked, partially cooked, whole grain
- It has 6 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber per cooked cup
- It has as been around for thousands of years and is one of the first forms of processed wheat.
- Super popular in the Middle East
Here’s the thing, it’s not gluten-free, but it is a hell of a lot easier to cook than quinoa. Literally all you need to do is add some boiling water and let it sit for a little bit on your counter. Bonus: It’s also cheaper than quinoa!
- 2 cups uncooked bulgar, cooked according to package directions (also see notes below)
- 5 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp (more to taste) kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 3-5 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped dill (optional but good)
- 1 english cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds (shelled)
- avocado to top
- Combine cooked bulgar with lemon juice, olive oil and spices.
- Add herbs and vegetables. Stir to combine.
- Serve with avocado on top and sprinkled with sunflower seeds.
- It should give directions on the package for how to cook bulgar, but it is super easy! One cup of boiling water per cup of bulgar, pour the water over bulgar in a big bowl. Stir just to combine and let sit, covered for about 45 mins-1 hour. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve salad immediately at room temp, or store covered in fridge untel ready to eat. Wait to top with avocado until ready to serve.