I’ve made and eaten a few corn and bean salads in my day. This is how I prefer mine.
Heavy on corn and fresh herbs like cilantro and green onions, this salad is bright and super versatile. I like to keep the zesty level high (lots of fresh lime) and the spiciness medium (seeded jalalpeno and red pepper flakes). I find that frozen corn has a superior flavor to canned corn (use fresh if you can though!), and a red bell pepper adds a tough of sweetness and color.
This salad is a perfect side for a barbecue, or as a side for taco night. I like to bring it camping as a filling for mountain pie cookers since it is vegetarian, and it keeps really well in a cooler even after a day (or two). It also tastes delicious as leftovers in eggs the next morning.
However you choose to consume this salad I don’t think you will be disappointed.
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb bag frozen corn, defrosted in a colander under hot water, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded (or not seeded for more spiciness), and chopped fine
- 4 large green onions, finely chopped
- 1 large bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 limes, juiced
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Combine ingredients in a big bowl and stir to combine!
- Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container for a day or two.