Since I quit my cooking job and have been focusing more time on these recipes I’ve been really trying to hone in on what makes my food well, my food.
If I had to summarize my recipes in 3 words it would probably be: 1. fresh 2. whole and 3. green.
This dish is all of those things. Fresh herbs blended with ripe avocado and lime juice for a zesty, yet rich sauce, on top of meaty grilled mushrooms, zucchini and bell peppers on top of a bed of quinoa makes for a complete meal comprised of vegetables and whole grains.
I’ve made this meal numerous times, often when we have people over for dinner. I usually grill chicken alongside for guests who like meat, and get people to help with the cooking by skewering veggies. I have these awesome reusable skewers that don’t burn up on the grill, or need to be soaked. I highly recommend them.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove
- small bunch cilantro
- 1 green onion, white part trimmed off
- 10 or so medium sized crimini mushrooms, ends of stems trimmed
- 3-4 small zucchini, cut into rounds about 1 inch thick
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut in to 2 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
- olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 tsp ksher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Cook quinoa in rice cooker, as you would with rice (or on the stovetop according to package directions) while you cook the vegetables and sauce.
- Add vegetables to a large bowl and season with drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes. Mix with hands to combine.
- Skewer vegetables while the grill preheats on high (about 500 degrees)
- When grill is hot lay on vegetables and cook about 3 mins on each side or until desired doneness, only flipping once if you can.
- Prepare green goddess sauce by pulsing avocado, salt, garlic and lime juice in a food processor until smooth. Add cilantro and green onion and pulse again until combined and herbs are chopped finely.
- When quinoa is done, season with salt and pepper, olive oil and cayenne. Combine.
- Assemble bowls with quinoa on the bottom, vegetables on top, with green goddess sauce on the side.