It doesn’t feel much like summer here in San Clemente, with lots of gray days and great whites in the water. I’m channeling my inner-sunshine and thinking about warmer days to come with this salad.
It is super customizable with options for different seeds and nuts of your choice, and any dressing you like. I always use this dressing with fresh herbs and garlic but feel free to use something else!
- 1/2 cabbage, cored and sliced thin
- 1/2 red cabbage, cored and sliced thin
- 1 english cucumber, halved, seeded and chopped into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 4 cups pea shoots or sprouts of your choice
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss together with dressing of your choice.
- In a medium skillet over med-high heat, heat coconut oil and add nuts. Shake pan to combine.
- Sprinkle spices on top and shake to combine, shaking again regularly until nuts are fragrant making sure to not let spices are not burn, only about 2-3 mins.
- Spread nuts on a paper towel-lined plate to let cool, then use to top salad.
- Use whatever nuts and seeds you like, and adjust seasoning to make spicier or less spicy.