We’re headed on a 2 week surf trip at the end of the month so we’ve been kicking up our workouts as well as trying to eat on the healthier side. You’ll never find me eating a poached chicken breast and steamed broccoli for dinner (boring) but you will find me eating a chopped salad almost every night.
I love fresh herbs in my salad because they add so much flavor and freshness. It is easy to look to your salad dressing to flavor your salad, but if you use fresh herbs you really don’t need much besides oil and vinegar (or this recipe, which is my go-to). This salad is packed with fresh dill, cilantro, parsley and green onions. You could scale back on those if you want to, and maybe just use dill and parsley if you don’t have fresh herbs growing or you don’t want to spend the money on all of them.
Along with the herbs in this salad, the smoky grilled corn really adds another dimension of flavor. If you’ve never grilled corn I highly suggest it. It literally couldn’t be easier! I just throw ears on a super hot grill (husks and all) for about 10 mins, turning once. They always come out well for me.
- 1/2 head iceburg lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 head red cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parlsey
- 1 cup chopped dill
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 ears of corn, grilled (see directions)
- 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- Preheat grill to high (500 degrees) for 5 mins.
- Put corn on grill (still with husks) for 5 mins. Turn after 5 mins and let cook another 4-5 mins.
- Remove husks and remove kernels from cob using a sharp knife.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss together. Dress with your choice of dressing and enjoy immediately.