When Miles and I moved out to California it was to be at the beach. We didn’t care about a view of the water. We aren’t the kind of people that want to live on the top of the hill with a view of the ocean but not be able to walk there. We wanted to be able to hop out bed in the morning and check the surf in our pajamas without even having to put shoes on.
One of the disadvantages of living at the beach is that we get a marine layer for a good part of the Summer which gives us grey May and June gloom. September and October are when our spot at the beach is really the best. The sun is shining every day and the weather is usually a perfect 75.
Today is literally the hottest day I have felt since we moved here 6 years ago. It is 100 degrees which is pretty much unheard of for this coastal area. The heat wave is the equivalent of a blizzard in October back East, or at least that’s how people hype it up. I surfed twice today not because the waves were good but because it was the coolest place to be.
This weather makes it hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just a month away but I’ve been thinking of our annual Friendsgiving and experimenting with different side dishes. I love love these tri-colored carrots, and with this recipe they only need a few minutes in the oven at 400 degrees. Topped with this green harissa they can be served hot or cold (cold was my choice today obviously), for an elevated Thanksgiving side. The harissa can be made 3 days ahead of time, and it lends a fresh, herbal, spicy flavor to these earthy cumin roasted carrots.
If you want to use these carrots in a different way I’ve also included a picture of a quinoa salad that is a perfect al desco lunch. Basically it is a combination of quinoa, baby kale/spinach/chard, topped with the roasted carrots, sunflower seeds and hemp hearts all finished with the green harissa. Feel free to get creative!
Have fun! And stay cool!
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 4 green onions, ends trimmed
- juice of one lemon
- 1 jalapeno (seeded for less heat)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp corriander
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 6-8 large tri colored carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch discs
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1Tbsp ground cumin
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Blend all ingredients together in food processor until smooth. Store in fridge with a piece of saran wrap resting on the top of the harissa to keep from oxidizing. Will stay good for 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, and position rack in bottom third of the oven.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add carrots, oil, cumin and cayenne and toss together using hands. Lay out in a single layer and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast 10 minutes and then turn. Roast another 8 minutes and remove from oven.
- Toss with 2 Tbsp of the harissa. There will be extra harissa for sure.
- Serve warm or, store in fridge and enjoy cold or at room temp.
- Harissa recipes makes about 1 cup, so there will definitely be more than enough for this recipe.