I’m such a lazy cook during the Summer.
I’m not embarrassed about it! From June to September produce tastes how it is meant to taste, and the best way to celebrate that is by not doing much to it.
I think we can all agree that corn is one of those ingredients that tastes best in the summer. I remember shucking corn out in the driveway with my dad almost every night during the summer when I was living at home in Connecticut. That memory comes back every time I shuck an ear of corn.
This salad is a celebration of corn. It is perfect for leftover ears of corn, or just a good option when you might be sick of eating corn on the cob. Paired with blue cheese and avocado and topped with a generous amount of fresh basil, this salad truly is a celebration of summer and produce at its peak.
- 3 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 6-8 ears of corn, cooked and cooled (I like to grill mine, see note below)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into 1 inch pieces
- big handful of fresh basil, chiffonaded
- Combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Remove kernels from corn ears and add to bowl. Turn with the dressing to combine.
- Add cheese and avocado. Top with basil and serve immediately.
- To grill corn I preheat grill to 500 degrees and throw the corn on (husk and all but make sure there isn't a lot of silk coming out the end to catch fire).Turn once or twice about 5 mins each side, until the husks are nice and charred and the corn is cooked. Remove husks and silk when cool enough to handle, and let cool all the way.
- This salad is best when eaten right away since the avocado and basil can both turn black with time. If you want to prep it ahead of time just wait to add the avo and basil until the last minute.