I’m not usually one for meat “substitutes” but this one is really good.
If you haven’t tried soyrizo before then this is the perfect recipe to get your feet wet (in delicious, spicy, Mexican saucy goodness).
In this recipe I start with a hot cast-iron skillet and crispy diced potato, seasoned with smoky paprika and spicy cayenne. The potatoes are followed by the soyrizo, chopped peppers and onions which are then all cooked together until perfectly soft, but still have a bite to them. Top with a 4-ingredient avocado creme, and you have the easiest, vegetarian meal of all time.
From start to finish the takes about 30 minutes, and the soyrizo has 11 grams of protein per serving. Umm hello? That’s filling, flavorful and fast. Sign me up for that!
Potato Hash with Peppers, Onions and Soyrizo
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and chopped into 1 inch size pieces
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 12 oz soyrizo removed from casing
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, chopped into 1 size pieces
- 1/2 red or while onion cut into thin slices
- 1 ripe avocado
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 green onion, chopped thin
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
2. When oil is hot (potato should sizzle) add potatoes. Sprinkle with seasonings and cook without turning for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Turn potatoes and cook on other side 2-3 minutes. Potatoes should be golden brown, and fairly cooked through. Keep in mind that they will continue to cook with the other ingredients.
4. Add soyrizo to potatoes and cook until heated through about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add peppers and onions and stir into potatoes and soyrizo. Cook, stirring frequently until softened but not mushy, about 5-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if needed, and taste veggies for done-ness.
6. Meanwhile, make avocado creme by processing avocado, sour cream, lime juice and salt until smooth in a food processor (or using a fork if you don’t have a food processor).
7. To serve, top hash with avocado creme and green onions. It would also be good with a fried egg on top. Enjoy!